The District offers a comprehensive benefit package for eligible employees.
Coverage is effective the first of the month following hire date. The District currently offers the following health plans:
- United Healthcare PPO
- United Healthcare HMO
- Kaiser Permanente HMO
All family members must be enrolled in the same plan.
- The employee cost sharing is currently 10% of the monthly premium for coverage elected (E only, E+1, E+2 or more)
Chiropractic coverage is contracted through Landmark Health Plan and is included in the cost sharing above. Coverage is effective the first of the month following hire date.
Coverage is effective the first of the month following hire date. The District pays 100% of the monthly premium cost for employees and their eligible dependents. The dental plan is insured through Delta Dental of California and pays an annual maximum of $1,800 if services are provided by a Delta Dental PPO Dentist, or $1,500 if services are provided by other dentists.
Coverage is effective the first of the month following hire date. The District currently pays 100% of the monthly premium for employees and their dependents. Vision care is provided through Vision Service Plan.
Employees are automatically enrolled in this plan the first of the month following six months of employment. This benefit is for employees only and is underwritten by Minnesota Life Insurance Company. The District pays 100% of the monthly premium. The amount of life insurance is 2 times basic annual salary (excludes overtime). The maximum life insurance benefit is $300,000 up to age 65. The premium amount on life insurance over $50,000 must be reported as taxable income.
Long Term Disability
Employees are automatically enrolled in this plan the first of the month following six months of employment. This benefit is for employees only and is underwritten by SunLife Life Insurance Company. The District currently pays 100% of the monthly premium. The plan pays 2/3 of basic monthly salary (excludes overtime) up to a maximum of $6,000, whichever is less.
Employee Assistance & Wellness Program
The District will pay for a maximum of 5 visits per year, per eligible person, to Sierra Vista Family Counseling Services for counseling for employees and their eligible dependents. All information is confidential. The wellness program offers periodic health screening and health educational sessions.
Biennial Routine Physical
The District will pay a maximum of $100 for a bi-annual routine physical for employees only.
Basic Retirement Plan
As of the first day of employment, full-time regular employees are automatically enrolled in MID’s defined benefit plan, i.e. the Basic Retirement Plan (Plan). The Plan provides a guaranteed monthly life annuity at retirement, with annual cost of living adjustments up to 3%, based on the consumer price index. The Plan does not have reciprocity agreements with other retirement systems such as CalPERS or 1937 Act county retirement systems. The Plan’s benefits are based on average salary over a 36-month period, years of service with MID, and age at retirement. Employees are vested in the Plan's life annuity after five years of eligible employment.
As established by the California Public Employees’ Pension Reform Act of 2013 (PEPRA), the defined benefit for employees hired on or after January 1, 2013 is 1.8% at age 60, with an early retirement age of 52 and maximum benefit factor of 2.5% at age 67.
As mandated by PEPRA and the terms of the Plan, employees hired on or after January 1, 2013 contribute 50% of the normal cost rate of the Plan’s benefit. The PEPRA contribution rate is currently 4.5% of the employee’s base pay.
The District does not participate in Social Security; however, in lieu of Social Security the District has a mandatory defined contribution supplemental retirement plan.
Each pay period an employee's pay is reduced 5% on a pre-tax basis and contributed to the employee's retirement account in the plan. Each pay period, the District makes a matching contribution to the employee's retirement account. Contributions are invested in investment funds at the direction of the employee. An employee is immediately 100% vested in his or her contributions, and becomes 100% vested in the District's matching contribution after six months.
At the time of an active employee's death, this benefit will be payable to the surviving natural or adopted minor child (ren) under age 18. The benefit payable is 50% of basic monthly wage (excluding overtime) at the time of death and is divided equally among eligible minor children. This benefit is payable through the end of the month in which the minor child attains age 18. Once a child reaches age 18 their benefit stops; however, if there are other eligible minor children, the benefit (50% basic salary) is recalculated and distributed equally to the remaining minor child(ren).
- Deferred Compensation - Like a 401(k), the deferred compensation plan is a voluntary defined contribution retirement plan funded by the employee's pre-tax payroll deduction contributions and/or through a rollover from the employee's IRA or prior employer's retirement plan. The District does not contribute to the deferred compensation plan.
- Portable Term Life – Employees can purchase additional insurance for themselves, a spouse and/or dependent children through payroll deductions.
- Short Term Disability – Employees can purchase disability insurance for themselves through payroll deductions.
- Flexible Spending Account – This is a voluntary benefit and employees can choose to contribute to the Health Care Expense Account and/or Dependent Care on a pre-tax basis.
- Savings Bonds - Savings Bonds are available through payroll deduction.
All regular full time employees accrue sick leave at the rate of 10 days per year. There is no limit on the maximum that can be accrued.
Regular employees, with the exception of ditchtenders, are eligible to take vacation after six (6) months of service with the District.
Employment Anniversary Vacation Entitlement
- From hire date through 4 years - 10 days
- From 4th anniversary through 9 years - 15 days
- From 9th anniversary through 14 years - 17 days
- From 14th anniversary through 19 years - 20 days
- From 19th anniversary through 24 years - 22 days
- From 24th anniversary through 29 years - 24 days
- From 29th anniversary through 34 years - 26 days
- From 34th anniversary and over - 28 days
- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King, Jr Day
- Washington's Birthday
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Veteran's Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Friday following Thanksgiving
- Christmas Day
- Special Holiday (Day before Christmas or New Year)
- Birthday Holiday (floating)